Monday, October 12, 2009

A Columbus Day Hike

In honor of that great explorer, Christopher Columbus, we did some exploring of our own today. Living so close to a beautiful state park makes this really easy - even with a 2-year-old.
I was soon told that Josiah "knew these woods" and that it wasn't necessary for him to stick to the path. He preferred to meander alongside the path where the going was a bit more rough - not something to be tried by his mother, he cautioned.

Most of the walk was light and easy except for the last little bit which was straight up it seemed and no trail to follow. That's because we wanted to climb to the top of a big (and I mean big!) rock to catch the view. I still don't know how Paul carried Shifrah up there but here they are at the top.
The climb was definitely worth it as we were rewarded with some beautiful autumn scenery.

On the way back, we stopped at the waterfalls to play. The water was very low today and hence the falls were rather small and narrow.

1 comment:

  1. I am so glad that you had Josiah with you to protect you with bow and arrows. Eventhough he "knows these woods" you still have to watch out for all those wild animals.
    Ants,crickets,spiders, etc.etc. :-)

    Love Dad L.

    ReplyDelete